"Go Royals! Go forth to serve well. Return with honor!

"Go Royals!  Go forth to serve well.  Return with honor!
This family photo is from August 2003, just before Brad left on his mission to the Philippines, but it remains a personal favorite

Friday, September 23, 2011

Return to Angeles (September 15, 2005)

    We had a late dinner, having returned to the hotel after 16 hours of traveling and visiting.  As we ate dinner the past couple nights, I have noticed Brad taking every opportunity to leave us and engage one of the waiters or other local Filipinos working at the hotel in conversation.  The moment he would begin speaking their language, they would give him their full attention - being surprised that he could speak it so well.  On one occasion, he returned to the table and said: “I’m really going to miss doing that.”  We are planning to visit one of Brad’s investigators in Angeles - Mary - for lunch tomorrow.  I am looking forward to that.

    Brad and I found a quiet spot outside along side the pool last night after dinner, sitting on a couple of lounge chairs under a large umbrella as a steady rain poured down around us.  It was very peaceful.  We have been running fast here and there, so it was good to just kind of sit back, relax, and talk.  I am much better at talking than listening, but have tried to be quiet during these moments.  (I am still learning this process, mind you, but at least I recognize my problem - which is the first step to successful recovery/resolution. :-)  Throughout his life, Brad has always seemed to understand and accept that: Dad just likes to talk (and talk, and talk).  I love him for that, for being patient with a freakishly fretful parent who insists on making everything his business.  Brad has been blessed with an ability to keep all Dad’s yapping in perspective.  But, it feels so good to be yapping with him again.)

Brad with Ate Mendoza - San Isidro
    In the still of the humid night air last evening, Brad started to talk.  I can see that his heart is just bursting with emotion, with feelings that he can hardly express.  He said: “I can’t believe Salvadore [in Cabiao] was so happy - after all he’s gone through.  He just said: ‘Please, stay here one night. They [Mom/Dad] can pick you up later.’”  I could tell Brad was wishing he could have done just that at each visit - linger a little longer.  He marveled at the thoughtfulness of others like Dan [Cabiao], who gave up his watch for Brad 18 months ago - saving it as a gift to present at the end of his mission, the very thoughtful FHE planned in his honor by his Angeles friends with wonderful gifts and expressions of love.  Tonight I thought of the nanays claiming him as their son - loving him as a son while he was 10,000 miles from home for so long, and the spirit of peace, love and happiness in the humblest of homes, and the incredible journey of the Moquia family - which is leading them in an unwavering course to the temple.  They are committed to that.  These wonderful people have become his forever family and friends.  We are all rather overwhelmed with it all.  I was up at 3:30 a.m. today, my mind racing as I thought about all that we had experienced and continue to experience.  Honestly, I just want to fall to my knees and give thanks for such a wonderful blessing to be here.  You know, when we were at Cabiao yesterday talking with a local “sobriety challenged” gentleman who knew Brad from his days there, the man said that we are “missing the Philippines” because we are not out seeing the sights.  My response to that is simple: we are experiencing the very best of the Philippines in our travels - better than any wonder of the world.  The wonder is how much love we see within the heart of our son, filled by the people here.  It is that love within that is so different about Brad.  He smiles wide, bright, and often.  Later in the evening after the long ride home, Brad said: “I am really going to miss this place.  I am going to miss speaking the language, being with the people - and just being special, because everyone treats us so good here.”  I have a feeling that taking off his missionary badge for the last time will be an emotional experience for Elder Royal - as will leaving this beautiful country.

I love this picture of the Moquia childre - San Isidro
    We will hopefully get some much needed rest tomorrow - Edward, too (who has been an incredible blessing to us - getting us from sacred place to sacred place in safety).  We are looking forward to Edsel’s baptism on Saturday, church at Cabiao on Sunday, and the Manila Temple on Tuesday.  Many great things still lie ahead. 

    (Note: I removed the battery from my camera and charged it, then when I replaced it, I did not manually plug in the right date.  So, most pictures from our trip are incorrectly date stamped.  It was a very old version of digital camera.  D'oh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment