"Go Royals! Go forth to serve well. Return with honor!

"Go Royals!  Go forth to serve well.  Return with honor!
This family photo is from August 2003, just before Brad left on his mission to the Philippines, but it remains a personal favorite

Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday in Angeles (September 16, 2005)

    I tried to sleep in this morning, I really did, but try as I might I was up and ready to go at 6:00 a.m., after only five hours sleep.  (What is wrong with me?)  Maralea even gave me those blindfold/eye shield things from the plane to help me rest, but it was no good.  I was just wired and ready to go.  Mike Turek (a friend from Las Vegas), who lived at Clark Field in Angeles City years ago, has been after me to find his old house and take a picture.  So, Mike, you’ll be glad to know that . . . I’m still looking.  I think I’m getting close, but it’s been raining cows and pigs here so my ability to get out and do a photo shoot has been seriously hampered.

Pics of possible Turek home

Turek possible home?

Mike, do you recognize any of this?











We'll try one more, Mike.  (How'd I do?)

    Our planned lunch with Brad’s former investigator, Mary, was rescheduled for Monday.  I hope that happens.  We went to the church for Brad to visit his zone for the last time as they were ending a weekly meeting.  Brad went ahead of us to the room where the zone members were eating lunch, peeked his head into the room, and there was a burst of screaming and applause by the eight sisters present.   I didn’t hear any of the elders yelling/clapping - just the sisters.  They also gave Maralea and me some extra applause as we entered the room.  They are SO FUNNY.  We visited for a while, and I got out my video camera and asked them to sing the mission song.  The elders sang it during the dinner at the mission home on Tuesday night, but I did not get it on tape.  Everyone was only too happy to comply with that.  It was pretty spirited, loud, and fun.  I got everyone to pose for a zone picture, and got chastised by the sisters because the flash went off before I got to “three” in the count.  They demanded a second chance, with a fair count.  They got one.  I discovered that one of the local Filipino sisters has an aunt and grandmother residing in Las Vegas.  So, I asked her to give me some contact information so I could send Brad over to welcome them.  Her eyes opened wide and she promised to oblige.  It was pouring rain as the entire zone left the church.  I stood there and watched as they all filed away in pairs (on “splits”) walking towards the jypneys.  The use of the local transportation system is all second nature to them.  As we drove by, several of the sister missionaries leaned out to wave goodbye.  As we drove off, I couldn’t help but wish I could be on one of those jypneys venturing off to do some missionary work.  They are such a happy group.
Brad attending his last meeting with the Angeles City Zone

    We went to the “SM Mall” to do some shopping, which was an interesting experience.  Something that impressed me is the number of employees working in a given store.  They are everywhere.  I counted 20 employees in just one area of the mens department in a clothing store, standing around doing their best to be helpful.  Brad was looking for a new belt and found himself surrounded by four young female workers all trying to help him out.  Few of the workers spoke English, so I just kept close to Brad to he could step in and help out when I got into a communication bind.  Brad bought some Filipino dress shirts.  He tried to get me to buy one, but I just got a short sleeved Polo shirt.  I tried to buy one of those for Brad, and he declined.  I showed it to Maralea and said: “Doesn’t this look like Brad?”  She responded: “No, but it does look like something you’d wear.”  Even though I didn’t quite know how to take that, I bought the shirt.  We got a few gifts and things, then headed back to the hotel.  We really needed the rest.  It was fun to watch Brad in the mall, going from store to store and marveling at how well he knew his way around.  I did not see any other non-Filipinos in the mall the entire time we were there.  Brad got more than a few stares as he walked along in his white shirt, tie and name tag.  He is clearly very used to that.

    When we returned to the hotel, Brad challenged me to a game of pool.  He claims he was tops in his zone in that little preparation day diversion.  Maralea and I played Brad in two games of cut throat.  Maralea won the first game (and she’s really not very good), and I won the second game.  So, Brad asked Maralea to sit out on a little game of eight ball - so he could focus on deflating my ego.  He lost.  Just as I was celebrating my victory, President and Sister Stringham walked by in the hotel lobby.  We got their attention and had a nice visit with them.  They advised that one of the missionaries from Brad’s group got held up in Hong Kong when authorities there found he had some souvenirs in his checked luggage that were illegal (i.e. samurai swords).  He had to write his family and advise that he would not be arriving because he was arrested and scheduled for a trial the following day (today).  Wow, how would that be?  Things are tough in China.  He faces serious jail time/fines, so everyone is concerned.  President Stringham suggested that Brad be careful about what he takes home with him.  (Yes, I’ll be going through his luggage just to make sure.  We’ll ship home any foreign tools of war - if any are found.)  We are hoping all will be fine with the missionary, and are following up.  (Note: I now understand (as of 2011) that the missionary was detained on house arrest at the Hong Kong mission home for about a week, was cleared and went home.  Whew.)

    We are planning on attending Edsel’s baptism tomorrow.  Brad is very excited about that.  There are some other families in Angeles City we will be visiting after the baptism, which should be very fun.  At the end of the day today, as we relaxed after dinner, Brad commented: “It is so strange, but I feel like we’ve never been apart.  This has all gone by so fast, and it’s like I never left.”  That’s the great thing about close relationships - they can be renewed and refreshed quickly, even after long periods of separation.  It has really been fun spending so much time with Brad not only to get to know him better, but to see the other side of him as he interacts with others with whom he has worked, served and grown to love.

1 comment: