"Go Royals! Go forth to serve well. Return with honor!

"Go Royals!  Go forth to serve well.  Return with honor!
This family photo is from August 2003, just before Brad left on his mission to the Philippines, but it remains a personal favorite

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Church in Cabiao (September 18, 2005)

    Edward came by the hotel at 6:30 a.m. to take us to Cabiao, Brad’s first area, for church.  By the way, it is pronounced KA - BE - OU.  I have always wrongly pronounced it as KA-BYE -OH, which means “horse” in Tagalog.  When Brad was serving here and I would talk of this place when hanging out with our Filipino friends in Las Vegas, I would always get a laugh at how I pronounced it.  Remy Ongogan would giggle and say: “Brother Royal, you keep saying Brad’s at a horse.”  Apparently I’m not the only one who has made this mistake in pronunciation.  Brad was in Cabiao when Elder Dallon H. Oaks came to dedicate the new chapel there in the spring of 2004.  He repeatedly referred to the town as KA-BYE-OH, and the translator would translate the word exactly as stated - which Brad said always led to some laughter by the congregation.  So, I feel like I’m in pretty good company.

    The trip to Cabiao was longer than expected, because of the hundreds of trikes on the narrow roads.  Edward drove around each trike with surgical precision.  I am sure we nearly killed four or five pedestrians en route, but . . . no harm no foul.  Edward had hymns playing on the CD, so that helped keep us calm.  Actually, we have grown accustomed to having lots of close calls.  We just ignore all the near death experiences and trust that the Lord is blessing Edward with every kilometer (and listening to hymns en route can only help).

    We arrived at the chapel in Cabiao about 20 minutes before church was to start.  Brad went in ahead of us as we gathered our things together.  As we walked into the chapel, we were surrounded by smiles.  We felt like celebrities as many of the members came to introduce themselves and tell us thing like: “We love your son so much!”  The missionaries in the area are Elders Farr and Kwant, both from the SLC area.  Elder Farr has been out about a year.  He is training Elder Kwant, who was experiencing his first Sunday in the Philippines (fresh from the Mission Training Center).  I asked him how he’s doing with the language?  His response: “I probably understand about as much as you at this point.”  Elder Farr assured his new companion that the language “will come.”  Maralea and I sat near the front of the chapel, which is actually called a “Sacrament Meeting Hall.”  There are no pews fixed to the floor, but plastic chairs set up in rows.  We were not seated for more than 30 seconds before we were approached by the bishop, who asked that we “please come sit with us on the stand to share your testimonies with us.”  Maralea wasn’t real keen on that idea, and was sure that we must have misunderstood the bishop (language barrier, you know).  A second request was made - which left no room for doubt, so we made our way to the front.  Brad joined us on the stand, sitting on the other side of two sisters sitting next to us who were scheduled to speak.  The meeting opened with the choir singing a number, followed by a congregational hymn, “Love One Another.”  All the music was in English, but the prayers and talks were in Tagalog.  The Aaronic Priesthood prepared the sacrament, all dressed in white shirts and ties.  One of the teachers, Mikki Patiag, 14, was part of the family that Brad first taught and baptized while serving in Cabiao.  His sister Danica, age 12, was also present.  The sacrament prayers were both said in Tagalog; otherwise, it was administered just as we would expect in our home wards (very well done).  Sister Bautista, who directed the choir, followed the first speaker, giving a talk on temple marriage in Tagalog.  As she started, she said: “I plan on giving my talk in Tagalog, so at this time I would like Elder Royal to please go sit by his mother and translate.”  The congregation laughed as Brad moved to sit next to Maralea.  Brad spoke in such low tones that I couldn’t get any benefit from his translation work from where I was sitting.  I could pick up enough to know that she spoke on temple marriage, and that the Savior has laid out a plan for families to be together forever.  That great principle is at the heart of all I needed to know.  She spoke with a very tender sweet spirit, which needed no translation.
Brad with Bro. & Sis. Bautista - Cabiao

Brad with Dan and Dhalia Distor - Cabiao

Brad with Danny Patiag - Cabiao

Brad with Nikki and Danica Patiag - Cabiao
    Elder Kwant was asked to share his testimony.  As I watched him approach the podium, with a look of absolute dread, it occurred to me that we were sitting in the same chapel where Brad stood to share his testimony on his first Sunday in Cabiao.  This is where it all started for Brad.  Elder Kwant got through his testimony, although he spoke softly to the point where several of the women in the congregation kept whispering, “Elder, Elder” while motioning to their ears.  He did not get the message, but really did a wonderful job.  When Elder Kwant was finished, Brad said: “They said you’re up now, Dad.”  I was so nervous.  No one had really spoken English prior to me, so I wondered if they would understand anything I would say.  I had asked Brad if he should translate, and all he said was: “Go ahead.  You’re fine.”  It is really hard to describe the feelings of my heart as I looked over the congregation.  These people meant so much to Brad.  He talked so fondly of them in his letters while serving here, and often reflected upon his time in Cabio with great appreciation.  It felt as though there was an army of mothers there looking after our son, caring for his every need, helping him to feel loved in our absence.  I spoke of the most important element of a testimony: a knowledge that Jesus is the Christ, the very Savior of the world.  It was difficult to keep my emotions in check, as the spirit was so strong.  While I was speaking, Brad quietly leaned over to Maralea and asked if she could try to hold herself together a little better.  She followed me, and did great in every respect.  As Maralea spoke, Brad leaned over to me and said: “I’ve never seen everyone pay such close attention to a speaker.”  Brad followed Maralea.  As he has done all week, Brad just jumped right into the language.  He had everyone laughing as he spoke of the first time he had spoken in the Cabiao chapel, feeling lost, alone and without a means to communicate.  He was complementary of Elder Kwant’s grasp of the language at this stage of his mission.  As Brad spoke, I thought of Elder Bednar’s talk in the April General Conference (2005) regarding the Lord’s “tender mercies.”  We have experienced a lot of those this past week, but I was especially aware of them today as the three of us shared in this moment of a lifetime.
Brad with Rhea Sarmiento - Cabiao
Brad with the Salvador Garcia Family - Cabiao
Brad with Sisters Roque and Melosantos - Cabiao
    Following sacrament meeting, Sister Gonzales came up to me and said: “You are so lucky to be that missionary’s father!  We love him and want him to stay.”  She spoke of her husband, who is not a member of the Church.  Sister Gonzales said: “I watch you and your wife on the stand and I dreaming that my husband and I can be like you.”  She asked if I would write a letter to her husband, and include the scripture I quoted in my testimony: 2 Nephi 25:26.  Sister Gonzales gave me her address and asked that I promise to write her husband.  I promised.  She added: “We never will forget Elder Royal.  We’ll think of him every time we drink [Royal] soda.”  The ward mission leader, who was serving in that capacity when Brad was in Cabiao, had an investigator with him and said: “Even though we cannot understand English well, we feel the spirit when you speak.”  I was asked when Maralea and I will be able to serve a full time mission.  When I said in about seven years, a sister said: “Maybe you will come to serve here.”

    It was hard to make our way to Sunday School, as we visited with all the people.  They opened up Gospel Doctrine with a hymn (and also closed with a hymn).  They love to sing here.  The lesson was in Tagalog.  Brad was supposed to interpret, but he was too busy quietly visiting with others around him.  I picked up that the lesson was about the sacrifices made of the early saints, and the need for us to be willing to make sacrifices in our lives for the Lord.  During the lesson, Bishop Bautista (former bishop of the ward) would raise his hand and (according to Brad) would ask random questions directed at us, such as: “How cold is it in the United States where you live?  Does it snow there?”  On a later occasion, he asked how close Las Vegas is to New Orleans, and then wanted to know how the Church members were in the areas afflicted by Hurricane Katrina.  I thought it was interesting that these people would concern themselves with that, considering all the poverty in their area.  But, something I have come to appreciate is that they see themselves as being very rich in family and the gospel.  One question asked of me was: “Do you have a problem with members being inactive in the United States?”  I assured him that we do.  Someone followed up with: “What causes members to become inactive?”  It was a rhetorical question, that was met with the following response in Tagalog by an older gentleman: “Because Elder Royal left.”  That got big laughs.  During the class, Brad leaned over to me and asked: “How would you like to be serving a mission here and feeling totally unable to do anything because you have no idea what they are saying?  That’s what it was like for my first two months here.”  I certainly got an appreciation for that on this trip.
Sister Bautisa, with Sisters Roque and Melosantos - Cabiao
     In priesthood meeting, the instructor asked Elder Farr to tell the story of the Prophet Daniel (and the lions’ den).  Elder Farr obliged, in Tagalog.  (He speaks it very well.)  I asked Brad to translate, but he just leaned over and said: “He’s just telling the story of Daniel and the Lions’ Den.”  Gotcha.  (Not real helpful translation.)  When he was done, the instructor said: “Brother Royal, do you have anything you would like to add to that?”  I said: “I might.  But, seriously, I have no idea what he just said.”  Maralea later related that she was sitting in Relief Society when the instructor said: “Sister Royal, could you please come up and instruct us on how to prepare for the future?”  (Wow, now there’s a broad subject if I ever heard one.)  I think there was an impression that Maralea and I have more knowledge than . . . well . . . than we really have.  Prior to that, Maralea had various members sneaking her gifts during the lesson.  It was just very sweet.


Da Royals with the Cabiao bishopric
    After the meetings, we gathered in the hallway.  I walked into the Relief Society room and the sisters said: “Brother Royal, come, food is prepared for you.”  They led Maralea and me to an air conditioned room (the only one I entered in the church), with place settings for about eight people, which included the three of us, the missionaries, and the bishopric.  We had a private little lunch right there, as the Relief Society sisters waited for us in the hallway.  I am not sure if everyone else was eating in another room, or what they were doing, but I would have to say that most of the ward was still there when we finished eating.  We walked to the front area of the church and I was advised that it was time to take pictures.  We took a lot, and got out the video camera.  Everyone was so kind, animated, happy, and joking with Elder Royal.  The YW President came up to me and said: “The girls all think you look like James Bond.”  One sister said to Maralea: “I have been in this ward for twenty years and I’ve never seen the ward do this for a missionary.  Your son is truly special.”  I heard from another sister that while many missionaries have promised to come back to see them, “Elder Royal is the one who kept his promise.”  They tried to get me to commit to return “next year.”  I could only say that we would “try” (since I could see that they take promises very seriously here).  But I wish I could give a definite “yes!”  We walked to the parking lot with the Bautista family, made another stop at Salvadore’s home to get some pictures of his children, then by the place of Danny Patiag (who, as Brad’s first baptism, has fallen into inactivity - although his beautiful two teenage children still faithfully attend).  Brad was very sad about Danny, but the fact that his children are still going strong speaks volumes for the strength of the Cabiao Ward.
The Cabiao Ward - taken about an hour after the three hour block (they waited for us to finish eating so we could visit)
    We made a couple last stops in Angeles upon our return.  We first visited the home of the Villanueva family who are presently investigating the Church.  The only ones home were Sister Villanueva and her daughter Grace (age 19, studying to be a nurse).  We had a nice visit, took some pictures, and Brad provided his e-mail address (which got the usual laugh, “pasaway_Brad” translated means something like “rebel Brad” - which we were repeatedly told is so funny because Elder Royal is anything but a rebel).  Our final stop was at the home of Olive Ramos, who is scheduled to be baptized on October 1st.  She is scheduled for an interview this Friday and Brad gave her a little pre-interview prep session, which was cool to watch.  Olive had some gospel questions, and it was fun participating in the discussion to help answer them.  For just a few brief moments, I felt like Elder Royal’s missionary companion - which was very special.  Olive is very excited about her baptism, and is looking forward to having the rest of her family (her husband and four children) taught.  She is a sweet, kind, spiritual woman.  We took a few pictures, then she asked Brad to leave with a prayer.  Olive walked us to the gate of her home, and we waved goodbye.  “Ingat,” I said (which means “take care” if you say it right - which I rarely did).  We are looking forward to hearing of Olive’s baptism and the seeing pictures she promised to send (right, Olive?).
Brad with Olive Ramos - about two weeks before her baptism - Angeles City
Brad with Grace and Edna Villanueva - Angeles City
    Speaking of pictures, we have taken more than 120 on this trip.  Digital cameras are GREAT.  [2011 Note: By comparison, we took over 1,000 pictures on our trip to Peru to pick up David (aka Elder Royal II) in August 2010.  I actually thought 120 pictures was a lot at the time.]  Brad will be busy trying to organize everything when he gets home, but what a fun chore that will be.  We got back to our hotel at around 5:00 p.m. - another long, but glorious day.  We went into the room and just kind of talked about all that has happened over the past six days.  Brad laid on the bed and said: “Mom and Dad, thank you so much for all this.”  Really, things could not have gone much better.  We were able to get everywhere we needed to be, see most everyone Brad wanted to see (we missed a few, of course), and do more than we could have hoped.  (I mean, really, we had no plans to do “videoke” in the Philippines when we left Las Vegas, and we got to do it twice with some of the best people on earth.)

    Our plans for tomorrow are to SLEEP LATE (although I’m pretty sure that won’t happen - since a 5:30 a.m. early rise has been the rule), and see Mary (an investigator), who called to confirm that she will be picking us up at 9:00 a.m. for breakfast.  We have to be out of the hotel by noon, and will then be off to Manila with plans to attend the temple Tuesday morning before flying the friendly skies of Philippine Airlines back to Las Vegas.
Olive Ramos sent pictures of her baptism on 10/01/05 to us shortly after our return home to Las Vegas

Olive's baptism, 10/01/05 - Angeles City

No comments:

Post a Comment