"Go Royals! Go forth to serve well. Return with honor!

"Go Royals!  Go forth to serve well.  Return with honor!
This family photo is from August 2003, just before Brad left on his mission to the Philippines, but it remains a personal favorite

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Night Pre-Flight (July 15, 2010)

    T’was the night pre-Peru flight,   
    And all through my mind,
    Were dreams of a missionary,
    We soon would find.

    Getting to sleep in our comfortable bed,
    Was impossible with thoughts of Peru in our head.
    Plans set in motion not long ago,
    Would transform to action in a few hours or so.
   
    The alarm set at four, we got up at three,
    Ready to go, dear Maralea and me.
    Apprehensive about plans of travel,
    Fearing that somehow it all could unravel.

    We go through our bags, check all our lists,
    While done several times before, Maralea insists.
    Mom and Dad arrive, the bags in the car,
    We were now ready to wander afar.

    Once on the plane, a sigh of relief,
    A time to relax, however brief.
    We knew the journey to David was long,
    We didn’t fret about what might go wrong.

    In flight we experienced anticipation,
    Having embarked on the best of vacations.
    Truly, reuniting with a faithful son,
    Is going to be sweet, unforgettable, and oh so much fun!

David with Elder Elias and Hermana Sheyla in Chachapoyas, June 2010
       I attended a bishopric training meeting Thursday evening as part of the Stake Young Men’s Presidency presentation on the new Duty to God program for the young men of the LDS Church.  Bishop Stout was beaming as he had just returned with Sister Stout from Philadelphia where they had picked up their missionary daughter, Kelly.  Jeff Flagg was all smiles, sitting right there in the middle of the pack, giving me the “thumbs up” with his ever supportive and enthusiastic eyes.  Jeff and Kathy are just over a week removed from delivering their son, Michael, to the mission field, headed for Nicaragua.  I corresponded earlier with Jess Evans, whose son Jake returns from the Spain Barcelona Mission on July 28th.  My business partner, Matthew Dunkley, has a son, Nathan, who returns from Guatemala in September.  The missionaries just keep coming and going.  We would be leaving for Peru in just a few hours, and it still did not seem real to me.  I felt a bit sad that I would be missing our Missionary Preparation Class for two Sundays while away in Peru.  I love that class!  We have been doing it for about two and a half years now, and it has been an absolute blast.  Steve Little, whose son Ben returned home from the Oklahoma Oklahoma City Mission in March and whose daughter Kylie is presently preparing to serve a mission, teaches the class with me.  It is the best!  We usually have recently returned missionaries address the class as soon as possible after they return home.  Let’s see, I think we have Sebastian Valdivieso (New Jersey Morristown Mission), Jordan Mitchell (Dallas Texas Mission, Spanish), and Kelly Stout (Pennsylvania Philadelphia Mission) who will hopefully all come speak to the class.  And, of course, David will be making a guest appearance soon.  It is always incredible to have these missionaries return to talk with our youth, relating experiences, offering encouragement and counsel, and strengthening us all with their testimonies in gospel steel.

    Many present at the Thursday evening meeting knew we were planning to leave for Peru the following morning and expressed well wishes.  President Frank Davie provided a few tips about getting money from ATM’s in South America (based on a trip he and Sister Davie made to Brazil several years ago to pick up their missionary son, Tim).  My cute niece-in-law (what is the correct . . . um . . . family title of a nephew’s spouse?  I should know that), Erika, from Peru, went so far as to provide a very specific warning for us to make a sharp left after clearing customs in the Lima airport, because a right turn would lead us outside and into danger.  That was echoed by my business partner Cory Jones, who served a mission in Peru and visited the country within the past year or so, who said: Don’t leave the airport in Lima (not in the dark anyway).  Duly noted.
David in Chachapoyas in May 2010 doing tricks with Chavo da monkey
  
    When I got home Thursday evening, Maralea seemed to have calmed a bit after fretting over packing all week long.  Most of the items she had spread all over the living room and kitchen floors had made their into bags - for the exception of my backpack.  She left my items out on the table and allowed me to pack that one bag myself.  I enjoyed that, although I have to admit it took a while.  (Maralea complains that I pack too much.  Typically, I’ll pack clothes for everyday, then just wear the same clothes over and over . . . every day - thinking I’m being some kind of hero by saving on laundry.  True confession: While serving as a missionary in Florida - even in the hot summer - I would try to wear a white shirt twice to cut my laundry in half.  Oh how I hated laundry.  No wait, ironing - that is actually what I was trying to avoid.)  I kept changing my mind about what would go in which pocket.  Kallee and Ashley Andrew came over to provide us with a few movies for our trip.  They will be staying at our house to keep it company.  I have long thought Kallee and Ashley would make a great comedy team.  They are non-stop laughs.  Ashley was wearing a shirt with: “The Kallee and Ashley Show” on the front.  (They have their own blog: http://kalleeandrew.blogspot.com/.  Check it out.  They are a crack up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment